Powered By Blogger

Monday, December 31, 2012

Henry Tanner – The Artist

Portrait of an Artist


Henry Tanner, best known for his painting, the Banjo Lesson, seen below is one of the most famous African American Painters.

The Banjo Lesson

I don’t know much about painting, but to my untrained eye, he was a damn fine painter; he demonstrated a mastery of form, light and shadow that evokes strong and passionate feelings in the viewer.

Take a Look at Some of His Work. I think it’ll be obvious why he was one of the better known artists of his time, particularly in Europe, where he was much more appreciated. His autobiography, The Story of an Artist’s Life details his difficulties gaining respect in the USA and battling the scourge of racism. It was only in France that he was free to practice his craft as he wished; the rest of the world was all the better for it.

Quite possibly the greatest African-American Painter ever and a fitting way to end my odyssey. 

Greatest Quote
I will preach with my brush.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment