Powered By Blogger

Monday, June 25, 2012

52 Week 26 - Ta-Nehisi Coates - Of the Beautiful Struggle


There are people who inspire you in quiet ways, people who have no reason at all to inspire you, but still, somehow they manage. TNC (as he’s affectionately called by his readers and followers) is a senior editor for the Atlantic. I subscribe to the Atlantic primarily to read his insightful essays and musings. The topics vary, from Football to the Black Panthers, to musings about hiphop and the intricacies of fatherhood.

Somehow he always seems to get to the core of an issue, and he’s never afraid to ask the difficult questions, even of himself. Maybe I’m being vain, but I’ve always felt like his story mirrored my own in a way and that gives me hope.

 His memoir ‘The Beautiful struggle’ is a truly heartwarming story of his coming of age and it manages to be both emotionally raw, yet truly uplifting. I check out his blog at least twice a day, and every story/piece he writes always has me as an eager reader. The best thing I can say about him is that he has inspired me to continue writing and I can only hope that my writing and thinking approaches the quality of his.

Best Quote:
We know what we are, that we walk like we are not long for this world, that this world has never longed for us

No comments:

Post a Comment