Powered By Blogger

Monday, April 9, 2012

Week 15: Neil DeGrasse Tyson - The Scientist

Stargazer

I’ve always loved science and technology. It might have been fate, or just plain luck, but from the moment I read my first Encyclopaedia Britannica volume at age 6, I was hooked. I loved reading and writing, but more than anything, I loved to learn about how things worked, what made them tick, and the principles behind the seemingly mundane phenomena that we take for granted.

Not to be a curmudgeonly old man, but it feels like that sense of wonder, of curiosity is lost among the younger generation. I remember watching and being fascinated by Bill Nye and his (quite awesome, I should say) presentations. For people who wanted something a little bit more high level. Cometh the need, cometh the man.

Neil Degrasse Tyson is a Harvard Alumnus, and an astrophysicist, but more importantly, he is someone who has spent a lifetime attempting to communicate the importance of science to the masses. Science ought to be accessible to all, and he has been on the forefront of trying to accomplish this. He has appeared across numerous media promoting the sciences. He has worked tirelessly to capture the attention of the fickle masses and show the importance of the sciences. He has a way of explaining high-level concepts in a very straightforward, yet utterly precise manner. I love his passion for his work and that’s something that has always inspired me. I won’t say much more than that. I’ll let him speak for himself.



Greatest quote:
The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment