Powered By Blogger

Saturday, July 2, 2011

Day 2 – Who the F@#K are Arctic Monkeys?

Artist: Arctic Monkeys
Song: A Certain Romance
Album: Whatever people say I am, that’s what I’m not

Arctic Monkeys are probably my second favourite band. Remarkable, considering I only discovered them in the fall of 2006. Sometimes randomly wasting time on Youtube can be beneficial. The band itself is a British Indie Rock outfit. Their sound is really a mixture of other Indie-Rock groups such as Franz Ferdinand, the Strokes and the Libertines, but they’ve managed to do something unique with it. It’s hard to say why you’re drawn to a particular song or band, but something about the duality of their lyrical and musical style spoke to me. Their lyrics are relatively simple, but closer reading shows the complexity of their thoughts that spurred me on to discovering more of their library.
            ‘A certain romance’, for example is a ballad about the demise of the old British industrial towns and the new breed of young adults who have grown up in the backdrop of this industrial decay. It is also an ode to the bonds of friendship between young men who ultimately depend on each other for survival, despite their various differences, and the ritualistic manhood they are forced to perform. If I had been younger, I probably would not have been as big of a fan, but being older allowed me to appreciate the music technically and lyrically. Alas, once again, the first song does not have the honour of being the favourite. ‘Fluorescent Adolescent’, has that honour. It rarely happens with most albums, but every song from their debut album was infinitely satisfying. I could listen to them a million times each.

No comments:

Post a Comment